What I've been up to lately...

Sunday, February 19, 2012

A Child's Scarf: Crochet Pattern

Two weeks ago, Rowan decided he wanted a scarf.
Not one of the multiple scarves already in our cold weather gear collection.  A new scarf.  All his own.  Made, just for him, by me.  (Yes, he knows what a sucker I am for a new crocheting project, even if I have umpteen unfinished projects just sitting around).
So, for the past 2 weeks he's been asking..."Have you made my scarf yet?" repeatedly.  He is a persistent child.  Finally this weekend I got to it.
I grabbed some fun, tweedy blue and tan yarn that has multicolored speckles and got busy designing a scarf for Rowan.  
I wanted the scarf to have ribbing along it's short length and a slot to pull the end through to keep it around his little neck with out tying.
Here is the pattern I came up with...
Use an N hook and bulky yarn. Overall finished size is approx 4"wide x 30"long and fits toddler - small child
Chain 76
Row 1: Double Crochet (dc) in 4th chain from hook.  71 dc across, turn
Row 2: Ch 3, alternate front post dc(fpdc), back post dc(bpdc) across (71 dc total).  dc in top ch of turning chain. turn.
Row 3: Ch 3, alternate bpdc, fpdc across (71 dc total), dc in top ch of turning chain. turn
Row 4:  Ch3, alternate fpdc, bpdc for 12 dc.  chain 9, skip 9 dc on row below.
bpdc around next stitch
then alternate fpdc,bpdc across (50 dc after skipped spaces counting the first bpdc), dc in top ch of turning chain. turn.
Row 5: Ch3, alternate bpdc, fpdc across to chain (50dc).  dc in each chain (9dc).
alternate fpdc, bpdc across (12dc),
dc in top ch of turning ch. turn.
Row 6: Ch3, alternate fpdc, bpdc across (71 dc), dc in top ch of turning ch. turn.
Row 7: Ch3, alternate bpdc, fpdc across (71 dc), dc in top ch of turning ch. finish off!

You can find a copy of the pattern without the photos here (so you can print it more easily!)
Also, please respect my hard work and willingness to share this pattern by only making it for personal use.  You are welcome to share your finished scarves on your blog or website if you give me credit and link back to this page.  Please DO NOT make this scarf to sell.

36 comments:

  1. This turned out super cute! And what a great tutorial- thanks for sharing it. Following you back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, super cute for children in the winter! Green or brown camo would be a great yarn choice. Thanks for sharing the pattern!

      Delete
  2. that is a beautiful scarf!! a beautiful model too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the scarf!!! I am your newest LINKY follower and would love for you to follow me back!!! I am hosting my SLPEEY SUNDAY LINKY PARTY going on right now and would love for you to link up!!

    http://www.randeesorganizedchaos.com/2012/02/here-it-is-friends-our-third-and-last.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colors and the idea of a slot to pull it through is genius!! (Especially for kids...but I might want one too!) Saw you at Serendipity and Spice and I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great child-size scarf! I'm going to pass it along to my sister! She's the big crocheter in our family. I bet she will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like a great scarf! Maybe I'll try this for next winter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gonna make this for my grandsons for the upcoming winter season! Looks easy enough, thanks for sharing the pattern.

      Delete
  7. I really like this pattern! Sharing it with my sis!! www.bearrabbitbear.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the sweet comments! Just to let you know, I worked through the pattern again today (with a fuzzy pink yarn...I'll share photos soon!)and changed the counts slightly...hopefully this will be the only edit needed!
    One other tip: if you prefer the ends of the scarf to be "tighter", you can start row 1 in the 3rd ch from the hook, and ch 2 at the beginning of each row (instead of ch3).
    Happy Crocheting,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love, love, love this scarf. Thank you so much for sharing the pattern. My daughter has been asking for a scarf too. I'd love for you to share this at my link party tomorrow.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it!!! I wish I am creative to make these. Btw I'm new follower on Linky. I'd love if you follow me back :D

    Thanks
    Witha @ http://withapinkie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm stopping by from the LinkyFollowers bloghop!

    I love the scarf. Those are some great colors and they look awesome with Rowan's coloring! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. He's adorable and so is the scarf! I like the little slit that the scarf end can be pulled through! I bet it really helps it stay on!

    Thanks for linking it up @ Creatively Living

    --Katie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Made this scarf for my sweet girl.. It turned out great. Pattern was easy to follow and the pictures were a big help.
    http://instagram.com/p/aFXIyonSLV/
    I hope the link works so that you can see my finished product. Thanks for the great pattern.

    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  14. http://instagram.com/tcurry2007 better link to pictures Thanks!!

    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  15. a beautiful model i like it

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for sharing. I'm going to make this for my 6yo son and for the children at our local homeless shelter.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great pattern! I'm going to make some for my grands :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a great pattern! I know you don't want this pattern used for sales, but what about donations? My daughter's kindermusik class is donating winter items to our local children and families dept and I thought this scarf would be great for these kids. Please let me know your thoughts! Thx!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Feel free to use the pattern for such a wonderful cause! Happy crocheting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do you modify the pattern for an older child. 10-12 years old

      Delete
  20. Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful pattern. I just finished it for my 20 month old and it is the only scarf he doesn't pull off. Now i am browsing for another pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. you should make a video. I'm just starting to crochet and it will help those who are beginners , I'm gonna try to this for my son.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'd love to crochet this scarf, but the way to print a pattern isn't working ("You can find a copy of the pattern without the photos here (so you can print it more easily!)"), I keep getting the original page again, and I can't crochet in front of the computer.

    I'd like to make it for my granddaughter who just wanted me to repair a scarf I made for her about 7 years ago - she is now 12.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Making some scarves for Christmas gifts, this one looks like a fun one! One question, it's the yarn you used a bulky 5?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Replies
    1. Great! Thank you for the prompt reply :)

      Delete
  25. What is the brand of yarn used? The tweed striping is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the pattern but where it says click here to print without pictures it does not go to a printable version. thank you for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  28. Would you consider converting this pattern for adult sizes? I’ve tried but it just seems off. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  29. My 4 year old Grandson, just asked me to make him a scarf the other day. This is prefect. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. my son just asked me to make him a scarf last night. this is perfect... he's 7 and big for his age, do you think if i just added 10 so more chains it would still work?

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have a similar design!!! So happy to find another creative mind! I had the same thought for myself when I shaved my head, for personal reasons. Anyways, my "pattern" that has yet to be written or shared until now, is the same overall design but I work on the short side and add the hole the opposite direction. I love your design/idea, never thought to turn the piece 🤣😂🤣.

    ❤️Keep creating!❤️

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...