What I've been up to lately...

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Project Run and Play Sew Along Week 1: Inspired by Art

Let me start this post with a confession...
I'm a math geek at heart.
It's true.
I like math.  Not just numbers either.  But math concepts...patterns, geometry, problem solving...
I especially like using math in sewing, crocheting and designing.

So, what does this have to do with Art?
There can be math in art, too!
One of the masters of applying  mathematical concepts in art was the dutch graphic artist M.C. Escher.  My favorite pieces of his are the ones that use tessellations.  A tessellation is a repetition of a shape that has no overlaps or gaps.  Like tiles that fit perfectly together.
Here is my favorite of Escher's woodcuts, Sky and Water (1938):
File:Sky and Water I.jpg
I love how the shapes remain the same, but the level of detail in each row makes you see something different.
And here is another, Smaller and Smaller (1956):

Who knew little lizard creatures could be so beautiful?!?!
My sew along design is inspired by MC Escher and his amazing mathematical artwork.
I started by creating the fabric.
I pieced together triangles into a simple geometric tessellation.
I varied the colors in a way that, to me, is reminiscent of Escher's Sky and Water.
Then I used my triangle tessellation fabric to make the pants.
I didn't want the pattern on the pants to be too overwhelming, so I used it only on the front and chose a solid black for the back.
I lined the front of the pants so that, first of all, they would be more comfortable to wear and, second, I didn't have to finish ALL of those seams. I just pressed them flat and covered them up.
I added rear patch pockets with triangle details, a knit waistband for comfort, and I top stitched with orange thread for just for fun.
The shirt is a simple raglan sleeved knit tee with more orange top stitching and a stenciled "math" phrase for my cutie pie (ha-ha, get it Q-T-Pi)!
It was upcycled from an old blue tank top and a grey, long sleeved t-shirt.
You can see all of the art inspired sew-along looks here, and go to PR&P on Friday to see what the All-Stars have come up with and vote for your favorite!
linked up at:  project run and play, the crafty blog stalker, katie's nesting spot, girl inspired, tater tots and jello, whipperberry, too much time on my hands, it's overflowing, i heart nap time, it's so very cheri, keeping it simple, homemaker on a dime, salt tree, love grows wild, homework, skip to my lou, not just a housewife, adventures of a DIY mom, today's creative blog, someday crafts, twin dragonfly designs, sew much ado, mom on time out, the train to crazy

39 comments:

  1. LOVE! This is sooooo cute. The math teacher nerd in me wants this in a larger size for my boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I love your outfit too, the ruffled vest is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Love the finished outfit.! I also find the thought process behind the design to be RADICAL.
    Deborah
    sewmuchtogive.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pants?!!
    Love them.
    Tessellations is one of my favorite things to teach in math.
    Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE MC Escher. You did such a great job with this!
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in awe! Love it! I also got the "Q T Pie" thing before you shared that, so job well done! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he-he...Q T Pi won out over "Math is Gr8" and "Math Counts!"

      Delete
  7. Ok, you get the mom of the year award for making triangle pants!! I have been wanting to make a triangle quilt and would never think of making pants. So much work but your look is completely amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha-ha, thanks! I don't know if I have the patience to make an entire quilt...

      Delete
  8. What's there not to love?! This is such a well put together outfit! I love Escher (even though manths isn't really my thing!LOL), I love the pants and the patchwork, and your little boy is so cute! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these! They look absolutely awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love MC Escher! And these pants are fantastic! My guy needs a pair. I hope you'll link up to Make It Wear It link party at TheTrainToCrazy.com!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute! Your model is adorable too. I love the geometric pants, you did good work!

    www.domesticblisssquared.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fellow math nerd here, and those pants are awesome! I love the whole look! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great outfit! The shirt is just adorable! I may steal the idea from you... :) The pants are super impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it! :) think ill go stalk your blog for more boys
    Clothes ideas ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this outfit! I think I may need to make an adult sized version of those pants!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That shirt made me literally laugh out loud and my kids came over to see what was up. Too cute! ~Major Moma

    ReplyDelete
  17. Found you on project run and play. Before staying home with me kids, I was a high school math teacher. I used to do a unit in geometry about MC Escher. Needless to say I LOVE the whole outfit! The pants are amazing...I may have to make some for my 3 year old. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My math teachers were never that cool! Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  18. You are a real artist ! That is so cool ! And totally well balanced ! Very impressive :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am not at math girl...but I've been an art teacher for years and I was so hoping someone would do and Escher inspired outfit. I LOVE THIS. Really a lot...it's great. Cool, and I can see the inspiration but it's not screaming it at you. Very cool.
    -liZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I've been following PR&P and running to the computer to vote on Fridays for quite a while, but sewing along has really been a blast! Thanks for all of the inspiration and the opportunity to play along!

      Delete
  20. These are so cute! OMG! (And I never say that!) And your model is adorable. Thank you for sharing!

    I'd love for you to check out our Pattern Party! We invite those with free patterns or templates to share. We are also having a giveaway this week!
    http://getyourcraptogether.blogspot.com/search/label/Pattern%20Party

    ReplyDelete
  21. i tuned out when you said you like math-i just can't. but seriously, your little one is such a sasspot! love the workin' of the camera. super cute.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...